Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Whale Shark Encounters

Whale Shark I only had two unforgettable encounters with this friendly shark in my entire diving life but the experience enthralled me to no end.
First time was January 1996 between the islands of Samal & Talikud on our way back to Pearl Farm Beach Resort where i took my Open Water & Advance training. When the banca made a complete stop to let us observe the world's largest fish, i immediately free dive and was able to hold on to its fin. I later found out that i was not supposed to do that because it will put a lot of stress to this harmless sea creature. I sure did scare this 12m giant 'cause it speed up like i was being towed by a wave runner!
Second time was September 2004 in Tongo Point off Moalboal. As soon as i backrolled together with my two buddies, this gentle giant of the deep suddenly appears from the blue and swim very close to us... i think it even slowed down a bit that gave us the chance to take a closer look at this 6m baby shark. Too bad we didn't bring our cameras!

No comments: