Thursday, April 27, 2006

Dive Cebu

Mandarin Fish Cebu is an island, a province & a city. Cebu City, the "Queen City of the South", is the oldest & second-busiest metropolis in the Philippines after Manila. The combination of fine sandy beaches, nightlife and easy access to Mactan-Cebu International Airport has made Cebu the most highly developed resort areas in the country. Cebu is also home to world class dive sites and my ultimate goal is to explore all the underwater treasures of Cebu... my home!
Here's my Top 3 Dive Jewels:
Pescador Island (Moalboal) - The island that provide almost everything in a very small area is in fact a large pinnacle rising out or 35m of open water to 6m above the surface. Around the island is a healthy coral ledge that drops to a vertical wall with overhangs and crevices. Must visit the famous Pescador Cathedral, an open-top funnel that bottoms out at 34m. I've seen shoals of jacks, barracudas, Napoleon wrasse, turtles, eagle rays, whitetip and greyreef sharks. Some have seen Hammerhead Sharks, Whale Sharks and Manta Rays.
Monad Shoal (Malapascua) - A sunken island with a flat top at 12m and steep walls sloping down to approximately 200m. The main reason for diving here (as early as 5am) is to see the deep-sea dweller Thresher Sharks and Manta Rays that regularly visit the area as their cleaning station. If you like to see Thresher Sharks but find Malapascua Island too far, you can also get that rare encounter at Tingo Point of Olango Island. I've seen two 3m sharks there.
Marigondon Cave (Mactan) - This dive site is in front of Plantation Bay Resort. The reason for diving here is to visit the cave. The cave in the wall has its entrance at 30-38m where you can see on the right side the four tombstones of Japanese & Filipino divers. Once inside, the penetration of the cave is approximately 40m with pitch black darkness towards the end. There are several grottoes on the right side that contains shoals of enchanting Flashlight Fish. Looking out of the cave entrance is eerie yet spectacular. I've seen two huge Eagle Rays pass by... some have seen Whale Sharks!

And my Precious Jewels are those dive sites where you can find my favorite fish at dusk - the Mandarin Fish! (Kontiki of Mactan Island, Lighthouse of Malapascua Island and Tongo Point of Moalboal)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dive faves are right on! They all make my top five. I'm doing Marigondon cave tomorrow morning.

Most often I dive out of Scuba World in Punta Engano. (That's where my friends are.) Hey, you should look me up if you're up for some buddies on any adventure dives. I'm open to diving anywhere.

I linked my blog to my name, so please stop by. My blog is NOT fully dedicated to diving & there is some "rated R" material... not "XXX", I swear. :) Just don't want you to get offended by a surprise.

Best fishes,
Jules